Wednesday 30 May 2012

From Barcelona to Tehran: Day 29


Day 29: On the Fast Lane: From Somewhere near Lago Sarino to Taranto in Italy

May 28, 2012; Distance covered today: 176 Km; Total: 2005 Km

It is of paramount importance to have good food and good sleep when you are traveling by bike. Last night, I slept very well. I woke up at 6 am feeling very well rested, packed and left. 

I didn’t know how long I had to climb to get to Lago Serino, but later on, I figured it was 5 km. Five Kl of the steepest roads in my life. For part of the way, I had to walk my bike. Walking the bike was even harder than biking. 
The Valley I Climbed

Finally, I got to the main road. I was on 850 meters high. From there, I had no other hills. I was flying. It was payback time. My top speed reached 67.3 Km, the fastest I have ever done. There was only one thing on my mind: getting to the east coast. I was surprised to get there at 2 pm! 100 Km at 2 pm. 

The East coast is by no means similar to the west coast. You actually don’t see the coast. The area is flat, industrial, and ugly. I had lunch in a bar: three pieces of pizza, and a sandwich. I could feel rain in the air, and I knew that there would be no place I could find in this ugly industrial area to spend the night. I then decided to push on. Another 60 Km to Taranto. So I did it and to my surprise again, I got to Taranto at 5:15!! 

By then, it was raining. I found a tourist office and asked if there was a hostel. And again, I was surprised to know that there was one. I was so happy, so happy to have found a hostel with Internet. I checked in, I have the whole room for myself. There is no kitchen so I went out and had two pieces of pizza and a hamburger.

No comments:

Post a Comment