Sunday 24 June 2012

From Barcelona to Tehran: Day 51


Day 51: A Nice Day in the Mountains; From a Lake close to Zara to Refahiye in Turkey

June 20, 2012; Distance covered today: 110 Km; Total: 4113 Km

We had a lazy start this morning. I cooked what I was supposed to cook last night: Yatimche. It took some time to prepare so by the time we were ready to leave, it was 9:30. The temperature was fine, the weather was not hot, but the wind was still there. I was wondering why the wind does not change direction in favor of us at all. 

There were two big climbs ahead of us. The first one was not as high as the second. I don’t remember exactly how high it was but it made us pretty tired. A little after the first climb, we stopped at a restaurant and had tea with fried eggs. It wasn’t very good, but there was nothing else anywhere close. 
At the top, but too bad we don't get a reward because the road down is so bad that we have to break all the time.
Fausto and Mountains

We kept riding and at about 3 o’clock, we stopped at a  shop to have a fruit juice when a bus pulled over at the shop for a break. There were some Iranians among passengers. I had a chat with them before we left for the second climb which was very high about 2200 m. At about 6 o‘clock, we were at the top. It was a bit chilly up there. We started the coast down and had an eye open to see a shop to buy groceries for dinner, but there was nothing in that altitude. We kept riding down the mountain and finally at 7:30, we reached a restaurant where I bought eight eggs, two loaves of bread, and some cheese. It cost me 20 Lira. Of course I was ripped off, but in that situation I couldn’t do anything. 
Cooking: I fried tomatoes to make omelet, but little did I know that the eggs I had bought were hard boiled already. So I mixed the the boiled eggs with the tomatoes. Actually, it was delish. Honestly, everything tastes wonderful if you bike all day/

We looked for a camping spot and soon we found one near a river. We pitched up our tents, I washed myself in the river, and made dinner

2 comments:

  1. They say that you can't make an omelet without breaking eggs. Mansour, it seems that you can't make an omelet even when you do break eggs :)

    If an egg spins it's cooked; if it doesn't it's raw. (When it's still in its shell of course!)

    How many days to you plan to have ahead of you now, Mansour?

    Keep safe.

    Cheers,
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL.
      Dear Dave,
      I did break the egg when I had fried the tomatoes, but I found two halves of boiled eggs in my hands, waiting for the content of the shell to drop in the pan. You should have seen me when it happened. So funny.

      Delete