Thursday 7 June 2012

From Barcelona to Tehran: Day 36


Day 36: Leaving Athens for Turkey

June 5, 2012; Distance covered today: 0 Km; Total: 2555 Km

I didn’t sleep well last night. There were mosquitoes in the hostel and at 6 am, the girls in the room were making a lot of noise as they were leaving. I had breakfast in the hostel and went to Acropolis Museum. It was a very interesting museum. I watched a documentary there about Acropolis which brought things to light a little bit.
After the museum, I walked around a little bit and went to the hostel, picked up my bike, and took the subway to port. I am now on the ferry. It is not as new and comfortable as the one I took to Greece. I am given a seat in a big room with lots of other passengers. The passengers are somehow isolated. It is like an airplane.

From tomorrow, I will be starting a new chapter of my trip, going into a Non EU country; I don’t know if I call Turkey a third-world country.  I have read a lot of good things about cycling in Turkey; however, I know that there are different kind of challenges, the most important of all: there are no Campgrounds. I will be either bush camping or going to cheap hotels. That means I should finish my days in towns and cities. I was also warned a lot about Turkish roads specially in the east part. What is more, I was chatting with one of my students in Turkey, she said that I should be extra careful in the eastern part of Turkey. She suggested me to go to the northern part if possible. But there is also a lot propaganda against Iranians, but actually the opposite is true  about them. Anyways.. come what may.

No comments:

Post a Comment