Thursday 8 December 2011

Day Four


Day 4: June 29, 2011; Distance covered today: 67 km; Distance so far: 303 km.

I woke up at about 8:30, checked e-mails, and fixed Mahyar's bicycle. After breakfast, I took Highway 9 north. It was so beautiful and quiet. Only every 10 minutes or so was there a passing car. I took a couple of pictures and shot some video. After a short stop in Lion's Head for a sandwich and tea, I left for Tobermory. The road to Tobermory was a tough one: a strong headwind. Late afternoon, I arrived in Tobermory, I had checked whether I could wild camp on the way, but I hadn't had any water for dinner. So, I had decided to go to the town. 

Toward Lion's Head on Highway 9


Close to Tobermory, I saw two cyclists who were camping with their families in a park called, Land's End. I went there to see how much it was to camp...38 $ plus tax! "Forget it. I am gonna camp in the bush". I thought. I didn't have any time left. It was getting dark already. So I got some water and hit the road. Just a few hundred meters outside the park, I sneaked into the forest and camped there. Not a good spot at all, but there was no choice. There were millions of blood-thirsty mosquitoes. I had to make something quick and sneak into my tent. So I made some soup and prepared to get some sleep. And by "prepared", I mean the same innovative way of keeping myself warm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment