Thursday 1 January 2015

Cycling through Clouds in Central Asia: Tail Wind; Today: 113 km; Total: 2926 km



July 2, 2014

I woke up at 6 China time, which actually mean 4 am. We had instant noodle and coffee for breakfast then we left at 7:30. We had to leave the old road and go on the main road. Instead of riding to the opening that we had seen the other day, we tried to use one of the tunnels under the main road. It was rather challenging to find one and to haul the bikes up to the main road.

Fausto was already a while distance when I started. I put my earphones on and listened to some CBC podcasts to beat the boredom of the desert road. It worked. After a while, a slight tail wind helped me go faster. The wind grew stronger and I got faster. The sun was under a thin layer of cloud, so I could go fast then. In five hours of nonstop riding, I hit 100 km and rode into a service station where I saw Fausto sitting outside a restaurant.

We had noodles in the restaurant and hit the road again. After a short while, we got to a town where we bought some vegetables and noodles for dinner. By then, the wind was way stronger and there was a lot of dust in the air. We tried to use the local/old road, but after five km, the road ended dead! We had to ride back to the town and start again on the main road, but this time, the wind was against us.

After riding for 25 km on the main road, we exited to the local road again, looking for a place to camp. Finding a place to sleep shouldn't be a difficult thing to do, but for some reason, it is today.

Finally, we found a very good place to camp, clean water, leafy area, no traffic, and no people around. 



No comments:

Post a Comment